Monday, January 24, 2011

TUTORIAL FOR DOGWOOD LACE AND SINGLE DAISY APPLIQUE

Hello, my name is Vivian, and I am new to cake decorating. I started one year ago and can’t seem to get enough of it! I love discovering new products and techniques, and I am honored to be a part of the DTC Product Test Group. Like many of you, this is my first time working with a lace & appliqué mold, and I look forward to trying it out and creating this tutorial.

Materials Needed:
· Your choice of Fondant, gumpaste, or modeling chocolate (I did it with fondant)
· Rolling Pin
· X-Acto Knife
· Shortening
· Mold
















1. Start with a small piece of fondant. Lightly grease your hands with shortening and work the fondant to soften, until pliable.
2. Roll out the fondant with a rolling pin on a non-stick surface or pasta machine to #2 or 3.

















3. Trim the fondant to the size of the mold. Place the fondant over the base mold and press gently with your fingers, making sure to push the uneven edges into the mold until smooth.















4. Put the top part of mold above the fondant and press down gently, and then remove it.















5. Turn the mold over and gently bend it back, letting the lace or appliqué fall out.
6. Trim any excess fondant with an X-Acto Knife.

















7. Now you have a beautiful piece of lace and appliqué to decorate your cake.















Tips and Tricks:
  • If your fondant sticks to the mold while trying to remove it, put the mold into the freezer for a couple of minutes to firm up. Another way to keep it from sticking is to dust cornstarch on both sides of the fondant before putting it into the mold.
  • Dust your lace or appliqué with an edible luster or pearl dust in order to give it a more elegant look.
  • To apply the lace or appliqué to your buttercream or fondant cake, use an edible glue (like thinned royal icing, gumglue, buttercream, or water) as an adhesive.
  • If you would like to be a bit more creative, it is very easy to change the look while using the same mold. For example, with this Dogwood Lace, I broke-off the flowers on each end to make a smaller lace pattern, and now I can use the flowers as accents pieces.














See? Fun!


I hope you enjoyed my tutorial. Please feel free to contact me on Facebook if you have any questions, and I will be more than happy to help.

Thanks,
Vivian Pardo

1 comment: