Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Fishy Fishy


Check out the project that Leslie Schweitzer created using the koi fish mold as well as the 5-petal blossom veiner.









This is my test for the koi fish mold.
I first made one out of poured sugar, but thought it lacked the "weight" necessary on the top of a cake, so I went with fondant.
I took 2 colors of fondant (green and yellow) and braided them together, never fully incorporating the two colors.
Then I pressed the "tie-dyed" fondant into the mold, going over the flat top with a rolling pin to achieve definitive markings on the fish (scales, gills, etc.)
I popped the mold into the freezer for 20 minutes to ensure a solid fishy :o)
The cake is then covered in a sea blue fondant, and a ribbon made of the same fondant as the fish, details the bottom edge.
As I am always one for flash, I painted the entire cake in pearl luster dust to achieve a shiny, wet look.
Extra bling came from the blue, green and silver dragees for the eyes and decorating the ribbon border.
I (again) used my fantastic 2-piece flower veiner for some isomalt flower details around the koi, to give an underwater feel.

I hope you like this, fun to make!
Leslie S.
Products Used:

No comments:

Post a Comment